View Single Post
Old 21-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Rob_K

Thanks Coen! I suppose my main point was that in an already complex hobby, we have to add further layers of complexity! In a sense, it also means that 'double star observers' have created their own little world that it is difficult to get into without arming oneself with the paraphernalia, while if the conventional star designations were used it would be 'open' to everyone!

Your point about the goto is taken - but of course co-ordinates are not much good if you haven't got goto. If you're using an undriven dob or other scope without goto you are much more reliant on accessing & recognising the field, usually with the popular planetarium programs. In Starry Night you can switch on a doubles (multiples) layer which can help in isolating the culprit. But you still have to undertake the 'conversion'.

So give me NGCs & HIPs & TYCs LOL, and I'll put the rest down to "doubles aren't meant to be easy"!

Keep up the good work anyway Coen - even if I'm too lazy to do the hard yards on doubles, I can still sit back and enjoy other people's doubles observations!

Cheers -