View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 10:56 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Jarrod,

Let me tell you I was just as excited reading your report as you were in seeing those tiny faint fuzzys! Well done and congratulations. It is really good to know that the stuff I pen is occasionally read and more importantly used to observe!

I've had a look at some old notes and a sketch I made a long time ago with my 25cm and also at Realsky/Megastar and there is _no doubt_ that your drawing shows NGCs 1553 & 1549

I think you will find many of the objects in my column in the up-coming Nov/Dec issue of AS&T will be right up your alley given the 'scope you are using. It will be out pretty soon.

Again, well done mate -- you're well on the way!!
If you are interested in NGC 253 as noted above by Eric, first locate Achernar and Beta Ceti (2nd magnitude orange star). Nearly 1/3rd of the way from Beta Ceti to Achernar is the 4th magnitude star Alpha Sculptoris.
Now, centre Alpha Sculptoris and looking through the finder scan back toward to Beta Ceti. Pretty soon you should come across a couple of small, distinctive triangles of faint stars. NGC 253, a big relatively bright galaxy and quite nearby to the triangles a degree or so to the east. In a good sky you can see it in the finder as an elongated blur.

Best,

Les Dalrymple
Contributing Editor
AS&T