View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 10:14 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I have to say Greg. Your sudden interest in visual/observational astronomy and all the threads you've made has brought back some life into the eyepiece forums.

In regards to your post, I think you should look into how much deeper you can see with certain eyepieces at similar focal lengths, and have a better understanding about eyepiece design can affect how well you can see objects. Not just in field correction but also light scatter.

My case in point is this. The target I chose with a mag 10 star cluster. Normally cake from dark sky but from the middle of Sydney - oddly difficult even in my 12".
I tested a 9mm ES 100 against a Delos 8mm and Pentax XW 10mm.
I found in both cases the Delos 8 and Pentax XW10 could see deeper then the 9mm 100. When I say deep I mean stars that needed averted vision in the 9mm 100 could be seen with direct vision in the 8 and 10.

I attributed this to the ES 9 have 12-13 pieces of glass in it and the Delos and Pentax XW only having 6-7, maybe also better coatings and a finer polish on top of that. All these little things start to add up.

You have a few eyepieces around 7-9mm. I'd be interested to see what results you find if any you can discern.