View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Phil Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Nice try

I'm not convinced absolute QE is the problem with CMOS chips. By their intrinsic design you have pixel to pixel variation in the (on chip) read-up electronics.

A bit like weighing yourself many times on one set of bathroom scales (al la CCD..same result every time) as opposed to weighing yourself with different scales (al la CMOS, this scale says I've put on weight! )

Canon may have discovered a method to make their "scales" more consistent. In which case the S/N will have improved and you can push the signal harder before the noise becomes offensive.
thanks Peter! i've been digging for people to describe ways the sensor may have actually improved to deliver real change.. that sounds like a plausible area of improvement. i bet you don't expect a gain of two stops though! canon do claim a slight improvement in 'photoelectric conversion rate' but it's clearly an incremental rather than revolutionary step even the way they phrase it. they also claim better 'on-chip' noise reduction which may be their way of saying what you are without revealing too much?

Phil