View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Bought "First Man" book the other day and I cant put down.
Its a really good read and its been thoroughly gone through by Neil before it was released by James R Hansen.
Its a real insight into the man and the industry that made the first step possible.

Ive read many books about the apollo craft from technical manuals to first hand accounts, its actually a real passion of mine.
Ive also spent many hours with a realistic flight sim ( orbiter ) doing full moon and back flights with check lists, csm panels that actually work, TLI burns that you have to caculate, docking, undocking, and you can do full manual PDI and decent burns to landing all with realisic obital mechanics.
It takes a bit of setting up but its all open source so you can make your own modules and get a real good working saturn5 with a full working 3 panel CSM with about 60 % of switches that have real input, if you dont hook up the fuel cells to the right bus then the RCS jets dont work etc.
Havent been using orbiter for a few years now because my time is taken up with astronomy but with this book and film i might have to do another mission.

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/index.html

If this film is half as good as the book then im in.
Cheers
Andy