View Single Post
Old 27-07-2017, 06:15 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I have purchased a Nikon D5300 body and didn't bother getting the standard lense kit ( i have never used them on other cameras). So i am looking for at least one lense recommendation, that can serve as a daytime general use and also a wide field AP lense.
Hi Glen,

I would try the AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens. Yes it's a kit lens, but like its predecessor 18-55 it is remarkably sharp. Tests of prior versions show reasonably well controlled lowa coma, good sharpness across the frame.

Of course you can also try the pricey Sigma 14mm mentioned, I'm not sure it would have lower coma, probably similar. The Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 14mm f2.8 seems like an excellent lens: low coma and reasonably sharp, except for very difficult to correct moustache distortion (not barrel or pincushion, but BOTH) evident on straight edges (not a problem for astro) on images I've seen.

Or go all out for a Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 (EDIT: sorry forgot you are NOT full-frame). Low coma, sharp, versatile, low distortion, etc. Remember that any of the modern Nikkor lens will also be corrected in body, where possible, for some lens distortions like chromatic abberation, distortion.

In summary, I would go to a camera store with your D5300 body and try the Nikon Nikkor 18-55 f3.5 AF-P not the older AF-S version. Take some shots and go home and review. You could also carefully try to test for coma in store with some tiny bright light at the frame centre and then another shot reframed with the same tiny light at the frame edge/corner and compare the 2 shots for typical coma. Also make sure you try it with your D5300 running the most up to date firmware. Sure f3.5 isn't the fastest on the block, but you're not paying 100s or 1000s more for a f/1.4, but it is a sharp lens and for something to try and have as a general lens, probably OK.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 27-07-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added FF correction