View Single Post
Old 27-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Carl

I would recommend using a mains adapter. I purchased the manufacturer’s mains adapter for my Pentax DSLR, as I understand that taking long exposures really drains the batteries. Usual safety requirements apply when using mains power outdoors on wet, dewy nights.

In terms of memory card, I use 1 Gig cards because they were at a good price point when I purchased them, and the Pentax could "address" them, but not the 2 Gig cards until the firmware upgrade came out later on. Check to make sure what the maximum size card is for the Canon; it should be at least 2 Gig by now?

Make yourself a long dew shield for you camera lens, although make sure it doesn't cut into the light path at the shorter focal lengths.

Some kind of substantial camera mounting accessory, such as a large ball & socket head or an adjustable platform would probably be useful, so that you can point the camera in any direction and make small adjustments easily, without the need to constantly slew your ‘scope to point in the same direction.

A long cable release to minimize fat finger and/or mirror flip up vibrations – does the Canon have a mirror lock? Better still, a (USB?) connection to a computer running some camera control software so you can control settings and view images on the computer display.

Cheers

Dennis