View Single Post
Old 28-06-2016, 10:32 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Hi Brendan, thank you for clearing that up. I checked every other dimension several times but completely missed the pitch
So much for staying up so late...

Cutting the Element14 DILs should be manageable. I have done similar things in the past (never with 1.778mm pitch though). Luckily there is enough spare length for a few practice cuts. Possibly even use the soldering iron to get a pin very hot, melt the plastic around it and then pull the pin out. Cutting on that spot should be easier then or even plastic can be melted instead of cut. Actually a hot knife may be the best option depending how brittle the plastic is.

Also, it was probably just a typo but better safe then sorry, you said that we need 2x 16pin SILs. The sensor is actually 2x 17 pins, not 16.

On a different matter, here is a quick calculation of the distance between the sensor and flange:
back of PCB to box = 10mm
box thickness = 3mm
Total = 13mm

We need to subtract the distance between the back of the PCB and the sensor surface:
socket height = 4.2mm (7.2mm but the legs partially go through the PCB)

sensor legs = 5mm
insertion in socket = 3.683mm
difference = 1.317mm, say1.3mm

sensor height (from legs) = 2.6mm

Total back of PCB to sensor surface = 4.2 + 1.3 + 2.6 = 8.1mm

So we have sensor to outside-box-wall-distance of about 13mm - 8.1mm = 5mm roughly.

To this we have to add the flange thickness. The bad news is that Faddy's flange is different than the one I mentioned before (scroll down), the one with the drawings. But I believe Faddy tried to reproduce this in one way or another.

If we guess Faddy's flange of 15mm we get sensor to flange distance of 20mm. A big guess???

I am not sure about your setup but the short distance is good for me as it this gives an option to fit a filter wheel or something else in between my flattener and camera. With my DSLR there is not much space for anything really. Flattener needs 55mm distance to sensor while Canon has 44mm sensor-to-flange distance. The T-ring adapter takes care of the short difference.

With this setup I will have at least 55-20mm = 35mm room to play with. And will likely need extensions...

Now to do some research on the flange design...