View Single Post
Old 18-03-2015, 12:13 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Canon EF 400 F5.6L

Hello,

Has anyone had experience with using this lens for astro work? I would appreciate some user experience if so

Also traveling later this year overseas and want to take a telephoto with me. Ive been looking at the EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS for its versatility in different focal lengths but several reviews conclude the above prime is sharper. Here is one. The EF 400 F2.8L IS USM is out of my price range

I was in the dilemma of working out whether to go with a zoom or prime up to the 300 - 400 max focal length. So what other options are there in the L glass from canon for a zoom up to 300/400mm. I know there is the EF 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM which is discussed here but it looks as though the prime 400 F5.6L is a tad sharper. Although I will be using away from Astro work, I want it to be as sharp as can be for astro work.

On the note of astro work, we all know how well the Samyang 14mm F2.8 performs in terms of off axis resolution and chromatic aberration correction (See here for some tests). The EF 400 F5.6L is pretty good itself here

So peoples experience and opinions are welcome. Thankyou!

Josh