View Single Post
Old 23-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
6mm, .. I'd say dew on the window in front of the sensor. Internal or external, ... dunno. They appear to move independently on longer exposures.
Sure was weird. I just recleaned the glass in front of the CCD chamber again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelD View Post
By any chance, are they alive? They certainly appear mobile. My pier and mount seem to be very attractive to tiny ants, despite the multiple applications of surface insecticides that I spread around. Just a thought.
Mel
Maybe? Not sure... Interesting theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Tiny ants now that is possible, I have seen them that small one needs a magnifying glass to view them properly.

Leon
There have been some infestations of flying ants around, and the scope is set up near my pool- but they're the normal 1cm size. Not sure about microscopic ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
hi Andy,

can't you keep your camera on a desk, start a 2 min luminosity frame and look through from the scope end of the wheel, that would open the shutter and you should be able to see through to the CCD surface.

Does it disappear when your cooling is off?

Cheers
Alistair
Hey Alistair, yep did that - it's the only way I could figure out how to access the ccd chamber window. I spied a teeny tiny dust mote that i was able to remove but that was all. Havn't tried testing uncooled, are you thinking the fan is sucking something in?

Thanks for all your input everyone. After exhaustive cleaning it's a big improvement but I'm still very wary of something odd going on!

Cheers
Andy