View Single Post
Old 22-11-2018, 06:25 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Although hese both look excellent, there are a few reasons behind my choice of the Baader. Starlight is out of my league cost-wise, at $520USD plus $180USD adapter for 180 Mak. The JMI is still over $100 above the cost of the Baader.
The JMI has around 15mm drawtube travel compared to 30mm with the Baader, making it less flexible for other scopes as I build my collection. The baader also has greater payload capacity, and although I'm not going to get close to the 6kg limit I might in the future.
The baader at minumum draw adds 90mm rear length, compared to 63mm for the JMI. This 27mm rounds out to about 83mm additional rear length with the baader over the JMI, before any focuser extension happens. So, the Baader at minumum extension makes the 180 Mak f/16.5, the JMI f/16.
I'm not sure how this difference would manifest in the real world - using an online calculator the fov with Baader and 35mm panoptic reduces from 0.88° to 0.8°.
I'm still comfortable with my choice given the lower cost, larger drawtube travel and greater payload capacity of the Baader. I wasn't sure of the exact impact on focal length, so thanks for pointing that out.