View Single Post
Old 13-07-2020, 01:05 AM
Xeteth (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
My ideal budget is around $3,000 to $4,000 for mounts around the EQ-6 size, I realise the NP127is is not a lightweight scope. As I began to look more and more into it, so much revolved around periodic error and total RMS, etc. So yeah, I was willing to push the budget into the $6K range if it meant a much better mount in the long run, and if I really started to get into AP very seriously.

There seem to be 3 tiers of mount, mass produced entry-level around $3K or so, middle tier such as Losmandy at $6K or so, then the top tier ~$12K for an AstroPhysics or 10Micron which can go unguided - I guess that's what they mean when the 'mount gets out of the way' - but you have to really pay for it!

I'll take another look at the Celestron mounts now that you mention it, thanks! Fox
You could get an EQ8 for about the $6k mark if you are worried about payload capacity (up to 50kg on the EQ8), however they are a pretty heavy mount and not really built for portability or setting up/tearing down constantly.

Do you have any idea what the total weight of your payload will be? You will need to factor in scope, camera, guidescope and any other accessories you'll have on there.

The other thing to consider - all the costs add up pretty quick when getting into astrophotography. Obviously the mount, scope and camera are the big ones - but don't forget there's a heap of other stuff you might want/need such as guide scope, guide cam, dew heaters, flatbox, focal reducer, filters, filter wheel and certainly don't forget the software! I suggest thinking about what items you will need right off the bat and work out a total overall budget so you know exactly what you need to spend. I'm not trying to scare you away at all, it's all definitely worth it - but I was somewhat blindsided with how quick it can all add up.