View Single Post
Old 13-07-2020, 12:46 AM
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Was that playing with a bare mount? The more weight you put on them the more the clutches drag. In my case it is only about 8-9KG plus the counterweights but if you rotate it counterweights level to do the dec it can sit there while still well out of balance. Rotate the RA another 30 degrees or so and it can be that far off that suddenly it swings madly in Dec.

The RA is the same (Made potentially worse as you might need to remove the clutch tightening bolt to release the clutch more) but you cant tip the axis upside down to take the weight off it. I am thinking of getting a small set of bag scales to see if I can see a different in torque required to start the axis moving one way, then the other to help balance it that way.
Hi Paul, no it was not with the bare mount, I did in fact take my NP127is into the shop and try it on the Saxon AZ-EQ6 mount. I wanted to find out exactly how the mount felt with my scope. I didn’t sense the ‘sitting there, well out of balance’ picture, but then I only spent 20-30 min with the mount, and I don’t have the valuable experience you have. Many thanks for sharing this, Fox!