View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 03:45 PM
Fox

Which mount: the AZ-EQ6 or Losmandy GM811...

Dear readers,

You’ve probably seen my recent posts about upgrading my LXD75. With an NP127is, my current use is visual but I am planning to get into AP - so after much thought have narrowed it down to 2 choices - quite different from each other:

A) Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 (about $2,900). I had a good look at one just this weekend. I no longer worry that the 15kg head is too heavy, sure, it's on the heavier side, but I didn’t find it overly difficult to lift and assemble. The AZ-EQ6 has a great solidity, I love that it has AZ capability, and the large screw-bolt altitude adjustment is fantastically smooth. Drawbacks: the azimuth adjustment is so damn crude !!!, actually no better than my LXD75 - subsequently, the head can ‘shift’ when tightening after azimuth adjustment. Also, we are beginning to see reports about backlash in EQ-6 belt drives now that these mounts have been around for a while. This is where its “entry-level quality” begins to show.

B) Losmandy GM811 (about $6,300). Ok, the more I read about AP, experienced photographers stress that the mount is so important. The next level up is something like the Losmandy; the GM811 is the obvious candidate. Beautifully machined, high precision, engineering and geometry, very solid and gorgeous finish. I love the multiple bubble levels, and precision adjustments in altitude and azimuth show no play when tightening. Drawbacks: Gemini 2 does scare me a bit, it does look fussy and has its learning curve.

OK, I know that both mounts will do the job; the Losmandy is simply at the next higher tier and price point. Let’s be honest, I’ve got NO (zilch!) experience in AP right now - so would the Losmandy just be a risky waste of money for a novice like me ??? I still have to learn about cameras, guiding, filters, precision alignment, software programs, and all the image processing - there is the choice of which camera, buy a guidescope, maybe a Pole Master - which will add several $$ hundred more.

Is it more sensible of me to ‘cut my teeth’ on the more entry level AZ-EQ6 with EQMOD and PHD2 etc. - am I right in saying that the large majority of highly capable imagers are using Chinese EQ-6 level mounts, with laptops and autoguiding. I can always get a GM811 later on, and I dare say appreciate a Losmandy more after I ‘learn the chops’ to do it justice…

thanks
Fox

Last edited by Fox; 12-07-2020 at 09:25 PM.