View Single Post
Old 16-04-2017, 10:04 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

I used to use my MacBook for astroimaging (running Windows 10 in Parallels) and it worked fine. However after a while I wanted to run everything natively and have a speced out laptop.

I ended up buying a second hand Dell Ultraportable 14" laptop (best for Astro). I got it really cheap and I speced it out.
- i5 1.7GHz
- 120GB SSD Primary and 500GB SSD Secondary for captures (SSD everything, I cannot stress this enough!!! I only use HDD's for storage and that's it)
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- 14" 1920x1080 (excellent screen size and resolution is Full HD)
- Battery is around 25% warn but still get 3-4 hours (need to replace)
- 3x USB ports (all USB 3)

For imaging with a camera that has a high frame-rate you want a decent CPU. I have a camera that reaches 150FPS so my CPU is great for it.

Since you are using the same computer for Photoshop your graphics card will come in handy. I have a desktop PC with an RX480 8GB card and 16GB RAM.

Eventually you will want to get yourself an i5/i7 as well to future proof yourself

To end on a puzzled note, what I don't understand is some people have telescope setups that are easily worth 5-15k but they have a really old and crappy laptop that's only worth $100 with really low end specs. Always been confused about that!