View Single Post
Old 13-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
But it also means that, say, if said mount could only track well for 30-60 seconds carrying a (R)C8, rather than the 1 hour as seems to be expected, then the owner might get subs out of it that would, after processing, give the owner pleasing results...that has to be a good thing.

Or to be more blunt, (within the margins of diminishing returns) it's no longer a rich man's game
My first astro-camera was a Box Brownie. My mount was half a house-brick. Very steady. A roll of film took eight whopper images. I tried doing really long star trails, and learned about sky glow. Short star trails were better. But when they came back from the chemist, there was no charge, because the laboratory thought they hadn't come out. There was no picture of Snoopy chasing a beach ball. So very economical. My next mount I made myself using a motor from a gramophone, some Meccano pulleys and rubber bands, and a piece of half inch threaded rod for the final drive. The counterweight was a pineapple tin filled with the guts from an old car battery. Probably got lead poisoning.

Mike