View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Ldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I am thinking of getting the Nero device, I like the idea of adjusting the sensitivity. Currently the one I have, which is home made, has no adjustment for sensitivity. Sometimes the trigger fires off multiple times which is really annoying. Mostly due to intracloud lightning (lightning inside the parent cloud)

Looking at the ebay item, it looks very similar to mine (different circuit though), except I have another switch so the camera is "ready" all the time. Simply a switch that closes the contacts for the focusing (which is not used) this reduces the triggering time by about half so it appears to be more sensitive.

Hi Andrew. Looks like we live near each other. Might bump into at the salt lakes at the next storm. I don't have troubles with false triggers on my units. What you say can be very true on some triggers dependent on the value of the LDR used (light defendant resistor). This is what does the sensing of the flash. I spent lots of time on this as I at first did not know they had different values. I was going to fit a trim pot to allow for adjustment but thought better. OK for some people but overall could cause too many setup problems for others. You would be surprised the amount of people that purchase them and have never used thier camera out of AUTO mode. My main idea was keep it simple and keep the price low, and include all that was needed to do the job. That included a hot shoe mount and a rain cover as it always rains during a storm. All for under $100 posted.

We should meet up at the next storm

Mardy