View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 02:08 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

A wedge is probably the best option as far as equatorially aligning the LX200R is concerned.. If the OTA is on fork mount already, its best to leave it that way... these are available through any store that sells meade products.. Just ask, if they dont have one in stock, they can order it in..

If you're thinking of a GEM for a 12" LX200R, you're thinking of something in the realms of a Losmandy G11.. and even then, from what I have been told (I recently considered a Meade 12", and asked ALOT of questions) the meade 12" is on the upper limit of what the G11 can handle accurately for photography.. So then, next logical step up would be an Astro-Physics AP900 or AP1200, or a Takahashi EM400 maybe... Either way we're talking BIG $$$$$$$$.

Auto-Focusing? Computerised focusing is probably your best bet here. and the simplest, cost effective way to do this is something like a Moonlite motorized crayford microfocuser, controlled via a PC using a Shoestring Astronomy FCUSB controller... The FCUSB is available directly from shoestring astronomy (google has their URL) or through Bintel. the Moonlite focuser available straigt from moonlite. (again with google.) Then using something like MaximDL, you can run a fairly basic focusing routine which when using motorized focusers, can have you very precisely focused in a matter of minutes.

Guide scope - you can get them anywhere, they dont have to be anything super-flash.. 80mm F/6 achromat will do.. Guiding, judging by whats being said in another active thread at the moment, the QHY5 mono camera makes for a very nice guider. Contact forum member "Gama" about these, he's the australian distributer... They cost $300, and as far as I can tell, they are awesome guide cam's