View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 07:27 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Having just returned from Lord Howe Is. it was indeed grim compared to 39 years ago when I was there before. Fish numbers are way, way down and likewise bird numbers.

Insect numbers have also plummeted - an important food source for birds. Whether it’s farming, insecticides used in urban areas I have no idea but without them many birds cannot survive.

So far this summer I haven’t seen a cockroach, no Christmas beetles at all, and rarely seen a fly. Even mozzies are not the problem they were 30 years ago (I used to be covered in bites constantly). No cicadas either (but they have a 7 year cycle).

There’s a catastrophe coming imho and it’s not far off. I’m oLd enought to gave read Rachel Carson’s “Silent Spring” and the significance is not lost.
Come to Canberra - tonnes of cicada shells (they just molted), plenty of Christmas Beetles to clean up too. Flies? I'll ship you a penta-billion (probably not a real number).

Only thing I haven't seen in numbers this year is snakes. I'm not crying in my coffee.