View Single Post
Old 15-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morls View Post
I don't know superlube, but when I researched doing a strip-down of my Vixen SP mount I read somewher that Molybdenum paste was good, but expensive. I tracked down a good source at a Suzuki motorbike service centre. The part # is 99000-235140 for a 50g tube. Cost around $15.
I did look into Moly paste but swung away from it for a few reasons (this is just google based info, not learnt/known from personal experience) -
1. Over time Moly can dry out and form clumps (meaning I'd have to do another tear down to clean/re-grease
2. Moly is an assembly lube - not designed for long term lubrication. I was concerned it may lose some of its lube properties over time.

I'm sure for the low rpm's and relative minimal use our mounts get that Moly would be more than fine and probably last the lifetime of the mount......however I went Superlube for a couple of reasons - doesn't dry out or clump and it is synthetic. It might be 'snake charmer' talk but apparently it also has minute PFTE (Teflon) participles in it that will fill voids in bearings etc (microscopic size) to assist in smooth running.

In reality though I reckon butter would probably do an ok job for something that spins at 0.125rpm (worm gear while tracking sidereal)