View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I'll chip in with my 2.2c inc. GST worth - long lenses and dedicated macro lenses both have their pros and cons. Long lenses can be great for butterflies and dragonflies. Macro lenses, as others have said, generally give 1:1 at their closest focus. Working distance will change depending on the focal length of the macro lens, so a 180mm one vs a 100mm one will give you more room for those difficult to approach insects. Likewise, a 50mm lens + tubes (shame on you guys for forgetting this valuable option) will generally give you greater than 1:1 but at lesser working distances. Of course, then there's the famed Canon EOS MPE-65 which will not focus to infinity, but will offer between 1x and 5x magnification. I prefer a combination of lenses, from telephotos to 1:1 macros, to 50mm/tubes to the yet to purchase MPE-65. I've done a bit of work with high mag shots (50mm + tubes + 1.4x tc + 2x tc stacked) over the past year, so I'm gradually getting used to higher shots. For a fair while, I used the 50mm/tubes/1.4x tc.

One important other thing - and Rally tuoched on this - know what subject you're shooting. There's not much general point trying to approach a nervous insect such as a dragonfly with a 50mm/tubes combo as a rule.

I have extensive experience shooting macro, since it's my primary genre (8 or 9 years now).

Dave