View Single Post
Old 13-12-2020, 08:02 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

UV/IR Filter with a modified camera?

I have an EOS Ra and recently also purchased the drop-in filter lens adapter for use with my EF lenses and a hot filter from Kolari which promises to allow normality for say time shots.

Stupidly I was too quick to sell my basic lens adapter because afterwards I remembered that when using my Sigma 105mm f/1.4 EF lense for Astro imaging (which I’ll do sometimes instead of the fsq-85), the drop in filter adapter only works at all with a filter. For daytime it will be my new hot filter but Astro now the only option would be the clear filter. That filter with holder costs $159 so I may as well have just kept my original adapter for Astro (they cost about $189). I have to now buy one of the other -the question is which?

Is it advisable anyway to use a clear filter anyway (because I think and assume is probably also a UV/IR filter) or am I better off with no extra glass between the lens and sensor? It is annoying because it money I didn’t need to spend -that’ll teach me to be too quick to sell!

When I use the same camera with the Takahashi of course there will be no lense adapter and this no UV/IR filter anyway.

Thanks in advance for your advice.