View Single Post
Old 18-07-2020, 12:16 PM
brisen (Brian)

Hi Peter

I have used both and now solely use the synscan app with the synscan wifi which cuts out the need for a cable to the mount. I actually moved away form EQMOD after discussions with the Skywatcher tech when I had an issue with the EQ8 motor board- I am in no way implying that the issue with the board was due to EQMOD. The discussion though alerted me to the functionality of the app and the fact that it cut out a USB cable and the potential for a weakness. I pulse guide through the app as well.

I believe that EQMOD is no longer being actively developed by the developers although it remains stable and functional. I have been using the wifi dongle and the synscan app on Windows 10 with no issues for 18 months. It is also being improved as the developers receive feedback and implement improvements.

I got around having to open the folder to access the .exe file every time I wanted to run the app on the laptop at the scope by creating a shortcut to the .exe file and putting it on the Desktop. Now double clicking that fires up the app and all you have to do is click Connect and away it goes.

Brian