View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 04:18 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I think there are some systems already available. I'd have a look at Losmandy's website.

I think you would need to be able to tweak each lens so they look at the same patch of sky. Some sort of tilt/tip adjustment on the mount for the small corrections needed to line them up.
I agree - Originally I had planned to build a cradle to hold all 3 lenses with individual horizontal angular adjustment via precision screw thread and possibly handle vertical adjustments with shims. What I have planned now is far simpler, but can morph to more complicated, as I already have some precision stages that I could use as part of the horizontal adjustment mechanisms. As simple as it might sound I will try a custom made 3-way side by side by side arrangement without adjustement (except for play in screw holes) also with parallax mounting rings to help further rigidly support the lenses. Given the field of view is anywhere between 5.2 and 3.4 degrees wide (400mm & 600mm focal lengths respectively) I may be able to tolerate a small alignment error. Small enough that it might wash out in later image stacking and tiny cropping. Of course precision H & V adjustment would be best, but I'd like to try it simpler at first. I will show a pic of the intended arrangement soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
It could be a very cool project.

What about looking at that setup someone had with several FLI Microline cameras all mounted on one setup. It should be at the FLI site.

Greg.
I'll check that reference. Thanks Greg

Best
JA