View Single Post
Old 18-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Peter.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I use a "lowly" GPD2 mount, fitted with a Synscan GOTO system. If I do multiple iterative 2 star alignments, manually moving alt and az in between with the knobs using the reported alignment errors as a guide (NOT using the useless Synscan Polar Realignment feature), I can get the mount down to 30 sec or less out in both axes - depends how lazy I feel on the night. I usually aim for sub-10sec out maximum.

I then autoguide, and find, if I did a good iterative alignment, that I will get a guide correction every 7 to 8 minutes, the remainder of the time it just tracks. 30 minute subs no issue.

That is using either PHD2 or MaxIM (preferring PHD2 at the moment) for guiding, MaxIM for image acquisition and just the bog standard Synscan handset as "the brain".

Never once tried controlling via ASCOM, though it is all there if I want to.
The gpd2 has a worm period of 10 minutes, having the guider issue one correction every 7 minutes would be unwise unless the periodic error of the mount was considerably better than the local seeing. Even if the mount was performing at 5 arc seconds peak to peak which would be outstanding it should be issuing more corrections than that.