View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

OK - This is a lenghty reply, and keeping in mind that I am new to this also, the selection of a filter depends on your needs.

I wanted a filter that could be used in suburban areas and would produce very good results with an unmodified camera - the CLS-CCD is also very good with modded cameras, according to Astronomik.

I bought the CLS-CCD filter based on the data provided on the Astronomik web-site. Astronomik are quite frank and open about the suitability of their filters in different applications and provide graphical data for comparison, with sufficient technical explanation to assist in decision making.

It was a bit of a gamble, I suppose, but I couldn't find any negative comments on the web - then again the filter is a new addition.

The CLS-CCD is not one of the very high end filters, but is considered very good for DSLR work, according to some users. Astronomik filters will also stand a fair bit of abuse. They are very hard and cleaning doesn't wear them out.

Check here for compatibility with your camera, and more technical data.

BINTEL sell them on-line.

In the end - what do you want to do with the filter? I bought mine for colour shots in suburban areas, to increase contrast, and hopefully get more signal and less light pollution per exposure. So far my observations are positive - it's doing what I want it to do.

This image has seen some mileage on the forums, but that's what I've been able to do so far. Far from perfect I'm sure, but just to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (integration4.jpg)
179.8 KB47 views