View Single Post
Old 22-02-2012, 11:46 PM
luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Great points Luis!

On a positive note, I'm pretty sure I just got myself a 5D Mark II

Now I need to think about lenses..
The 24-105mm will be standard walkaround, but I want a wide angle for night sky shots and general widefield landscapes. It might not be the same lens..

The 17-40 or 16-35 are my current choices, but one is half the price, but slower
I didn't like the 16-35 the borders were very bad and at night it had comma up to F5. The 17-40 is also bad for night time photography but it's quite good for landscapes if you use it between F8 and F11.

The 24-105 is a nice lens it's also bad at night but for landscapes it works well from F5.6 to F11 and you need a good RAW processor to fix the distortion. DxO optics does a fantastic job with the 5DII and thw 24-105.

For night sky shots your options are limited. Some lenses that work well that I have testes are:
Canon 28mm F2.8 (and oldie!)
Zeiss 21 F2.8
Nikon 14-24 F2.8 (+ adapter)
Samyang 14mm F2.8
Rokininon 35mm F1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
For nightscapes a good quality wide lens is still a need shooting a pano at night is difficult, specially if you need to take several subs for each panel. Once you finish the first panel the stars have moved and stitching and stacking everything becomes a difficult task.

Thanks very much Luis for your valuable info. I am still learning this subject and appreciate your advice.

Have you used gigapan or autopano?

Greg.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have used both. I prefer PtGUI pro, PtAssembler or Hugin even for very large panos.