View Single Post
Old 21-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Billyboy78 (Bill)

Hi Logan,
The story really goes back 12 - 14 yrs when I discussed 'the perfect scope' with the guys on STAR Astronomy in New Jersey. I had finished the 16" newt and was starting on a 12" nasmyth cassegrain which I never finished, but kept the idea in my head. Over the last 12 months plans were drawn up and I started to collect bits that might be useful, including buying cheapo drill presses from the sunday markets and bits off my Jeep that I wrecked. The spindle comes from the bracket that held the mechanical fan, and when sat on its end has 4 bolts sticking up that are attached to 3 pieces of 12mm plywood, 1 x 24" D and 2 x 23 1/2"D. There are 3 x 4" swivel wheels under the circumference to stop any flexure it might encounter. The accessory belt from the jeep sits on the smaller discs and attaches to the grooved pulley which is attached to the drill press. I measured the height of the pulley and cut the height of the drill press to suit. The drill presses are set to their slowest speed along with a connecting belt between the two. Current speed is 16rpm but this can be upped at any time by selecting different configurations of the belts. The pieces of Unistrut you may see beside the turntable are for the fixed post.

Hope I didn't bore you.