View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Garbz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Interesting. Can you use Team Viewer over a LAN (ie without internet) with the free/home version? I'm thinking Astrofest.
Yes. Just type in the IP address of the target PC instead of the Partner ID. That said if you're worried about the server / client relationship that Teamviewer has with 3rd parties another solution would be any VNC client like TightVNC which is also free, and open source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leinad View Post
Interesting report, I wonder if this has to do with excessive and conflict in threads with cpu cycles.

Autoguiding is deemed to use alot of cpu cycles as its constantly polling the cpu for img download, calc and correction.

I did briefly google some posts on windows and RDP; and some mentioned cpu cycles were excessive with the way RDP renders the screen and I/O.
RDP is more CPU intensive on the client as the client renders the final graphic, not the server. In many regards the actual Fit-PC on the telescope should have a lower CPU load using RDP than Teamviewer / VNC as there's no local rendering going on, compared to the Teamviewer process of rendering the screen locally, screen grabbing it, compressing it and then transporting it over the network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally View Post
Hi Chris,

Just wondering and data logging !

Was this done over ethernet or Wifi ?
What screen resolution were you using ?
A mix between WiFi -> WiFi (802.11n on both sides) and WiFi -> Ethernet. I initially set everything up using a tablet via WiFi, but I typically monitor via the desktop. In both cases the wifi setup / desktop monitoring was the same.

RDP was 1920x1080, Teamviewer was 1600x1200 because ... well Teamviewer was written by people who clearly don't own decent screens. If you're thinking about the load placed on the Fit-PC to process this remember that Teamviewer will render the image on the server (fit-PC) and then screen grab and transmit over the network, whereas RDP will send the window draw commands directly over the network and render on the client. I.e. It doesn't matter how big the resolution is on the client as long as the PHD window is still the same size.