View Single Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Ian Cooper

Hi Rob K and Carl,

that feature you've picked up with the beading of the nucleus is not strictly a Kreutz Family trait, but my old mate Rod Austin in New Plymouth pointed out to me yesterday that the September 1882 comet was also known as, 'The String Of Pearls Comet,' for that same reason. The fracturing of that famous comet and its unusual geometery saw up to 8 mini comets shed from the main nucleus and fall by the wayside. These appeared several degrees to the left and below the coma as the comet backed away from the sun.

I don't think there will be too many reports from this side of the ditch until after New Years. A large mass of sub-tropical cloud has descended from off the Queensland coast, and the brilliant high that covered us for nearly ten days is acting as a blocker to the east of us ensuring the low will stick around for nearly a week. Seeing how it 3 times the size of NZ there will be nowhere to run to.

I've attached a montage of three shots from yesterday morning to show from the horizon up to Crux. The widest lense on the Canon 10D I'm using is only a 35mm, which is probably the equivalent to a standard lense. My mate Stephen Chadwick stitched them together for me. Not the greatest shot around but a good rendition of the visual impression I'll never forget.

Details: 35mm, f/4.5, 1 minute, ISO 800. Taken from the Tararua District west of Eketahuna (not to be confused with Etamoogah!).

Cheers

Coops
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2011.12.26 Montage b.jpg)
83.8 KB139 views