Thread: Buying a QHY9.
View Single Post
Old 21-12-2009, 12:39 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Yea, its a lot of back and forth, however it allows me to control the data better... If one channel has a lot more data than another, it allows better control of how far you DDP that channel, rather than just running an arbitrary DDP across the whole colour image..

Yep Im using MaximDL V5, I know it can do all the stacking/calibration work that I do in DSS, but DSS is generally faster at it, as its using 4 processors...

Luminance in my opinion should always be handled separately from RGB data. It requires the most processing out of the 4 channels, and also the most care in processing. Luminance should be sharp, noiseless, yet processed right to the brink of the data set.. you want the most detail and the all the dim areas of the image to really pop in the luminance, but you don't want it to become very noisy etc..

Despite all my back and forth in handling raw files, once its all stacked in DSS, I generally have the image to the point of adding the luminance layer within 10~15 minutes.. it doesnt take long, and that extra bit of care can usually make an appreciable difference.