View Single Post
Old 13-01-2008, 12:14 AM
coldspace

Leon,

Still doing alot of reaserch on capturing etc. The Guy on the Gold Coast has been using this gear for about 6months I think so I will E-mail and see what he has been doing. There is a new forum that started last month on Cloudy Nights dealing only on video astronomy gear try there . There are video capture cards you can get for your P/C but I don't know much about them. For viewing they say the old security monitors work best or a small colour t.v but there is a thread on the C/N video forum running at the moment on this so I will give it some more thought.This tech. is really intresting for me as I live in very light polluted sky's and having family it is hard to get out to dark sky's all the time and I also don't have the time (or patience) to do other forms of imaging so the video system appeals. It could be used on the 30 inch truss dob as alot of guys in the states are doing it but I imagine you would cut back the exposure settings alot unless it was really dim object. Wonder what Mag. you could get down to in real dark sky's and 30 inch mirror maybe 22?. Rock is getting down to 21.5 using 16inch and stacking multiple frames. Anyway I will be more than happy with what I will be using it for. I read someone got the horsehead in colour only faintly though through a 4 inch refrac. in suburban sky's so your 8 inch will blow you away . These camera's run like a 8-9mm eyepiece so I am getting a focul reducer. I may get a low F ratio 4 inch refract. for low power wide field use some time down the track.Can't wait but the clouds better p_ _ s of by then. Been nearly 6 weeks or so up here. All I do now because of these clouds is spend too much time on ice-space and C/Nights (No offense Iceman)to get my fix and this keeps me wanting to spend money on things. Hope you get your camera soon.

Matt.

Last edited by coldspace; 13-01-2008 at 12:57 AM.