View Single Post
Old 29-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Tasaurora (Si)

Variations in temp - collimation

I’m a newbie to this site and the astronomy world in general and I have spent wayyy too much time reading posts - one thing, if I may offer the community in regards to responses (especially in the beginner section ) - could ppl please be aware that as beginners, we do not know, what we don’t know. So the acronyms and the 3 letter references within some replies no doubt make perfect sense to long termers - But I often find myself sidetracked looking up reference after reference, and then - well going off to watch a funny dog video :-)

I’m guilty of the exact same thing in my other, established hobbies - and someone bought it to my attention re the same I ssues it can cause - and I for one, want more ppl involved in the hobbies I choose.

To my query if I may - my scope lives inside where it’s 21-22 degrees C for most of the night. When I take it outside it’s often 1-2 degrees. This causes not only condensation to build quickly - but I can hear the scope creaking and “cracking” as it cools down. Is this a problem? Can it cause collimation issues? How do ppl deal with condensation in the field ?

I got to use my 10” dobson for the 1st time the other night and kids went mad for Saturn - but it was a little blurry regardless of eye pieces I trialled.
I also made a bad error, getting the kids to look early in the night - looking through a lot of atmosphere To the east rAther that waiting until closer to vertical - silly, but time was a problem.

I’ve looked at collimation links on here and am about to buy a Cheshire and laser - is collimation something one should check every night - after travel - intermittently? Again - I don’t know what I don’t know - so perhaps I need collimation now after interstate transport...how far out is too far out ?

One other Question - I’ve not yet set up skyscan because I cannot get a perfectly level site and don’t want to put feet into the grass / dirt - as this might introduce backlash as the ground is very soft - I imagine this is critical? So build a board or sheeting is a decent idea?

Thanks in advance for all assistance- so, so much info on here. Gave me absolute chills seeing Saturn come into focus - I was like one of the kids myself