View Single Post
Old 24-07-2019, 10:18 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

The Asiair needs a 5V supply (USB) so you would need a seperate supply to that.

In my case instead of an Asiair I am using an Intel nuc which is on my mount and that will run off a 12V supply.

I have a single 12V power supply to run the whole show so I have amalgamated a lot of cables. I have a 12V cable running from my power supply box to the NUC (As this is mounted separately to everything else) and then a single 12V supply cable that goes on to the mount, which branches off to power the mount, with a power cable then continuing up to the scope, branching to provide 12V feeds to the dew heater controller, focus motor and finally the ASI294 camera (I use one of them too)

I have a single USB3 cable running down from the ASI294 to the NUC, with the USB hub on the 294 being used to connect the focus motor and the guide camera which keeps the cable bundle from the dec head to the RA head small and easy to manage. I also have an EQdirect cable running from the mount to the NUC. With the cables set up as I have them the scope can point anywhere the mount is capable of without risk of cable snags.

People do run individual power cables for every item but in my case it all runs off a single power supply so it makes no difference, IMO if one item fails for any reason your imaging run is toast anyway even if you have individual supplies for everything.