View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 12:20 AM
Aussie_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hothersall View Post
Great results Dave, does not look like you have much noise there. I never seem to get the GRS, you got some detail within. I would say 2 mins is better than 3 at much longer FL's but 3 mins is fine at your FL. You need to maximise fps, histo of 70% some even go lower down to 50%.

John.
Thanks John. It's been the only good seeing night I've had here this Winter for planetary.

I was capturing 3 minute videos at a much higher frame rate (shorter exposure), gain was at 200 and a lower histo. I found that once I stretched levels for it to look acceptable it was also increasing noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Pretty nice detail and colours in the cloud bands in the images, always wondered how good ( or not ) the Saxon 8" Mak was / is. Seems they didn't sell well and production was discontinued after only a year or two. Yours seems to have reasonable optics judging by the crispness of the images.
Cheers Jeff. There's not many of these Saxon 8" Mak's around. Only a couple that have been sold on the second hand market years ago that I know of and one that may exist over in the eastern states somewhere that I heard about recently. They are ok, heavier than a C8.

I've had some ongoing problems with collimation with this scope but with the help of a member from here, we worked out that they are prone to pinched optics from the cold weather with the front lens cell around the corrector lens, so a dew heater strap is a definite must have for them, also a dew shield and shield the whole scope from it dewing up.

Here's the two stacked images from the two videos, layered and aligned manually with some more colour correction. Not sure if it's any better than the single stacked images. I could do with some very good seeing to see what the scope can really produce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (21_47_50_l4 Best 2 7351t 25p 1837st rs200p Jupiter 2 video layered image - David Johnson.png)
195.7 KB31 views