View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 06:01 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)
Neo - as in Dr Neo Cortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I have a CGX, on a pier in my observatory, and yes it is a belt driven mount with spring loaded worms, so it is not as sloppy as some of the gear driven mounts. That said I do still run just a tad of east heavy balance, probably more out of old habit than pure necessity. For visual use i would not worry about it at all, but if your imaging with guiding, sure. Be aware that the CGX can image across the Meridian by 20°, and is usually ok through that process, at least in my experience. If your imaging with scopes which exhibit mirror flop then you will need to 'supervise' at the Meridian.
Thanks,

How much is a "tad" aka, if balanced, just that 20mm or so to the east ? Based on weight, the 800 will be around 10 kilo fully loaded, with cameras, starsense, etc. I decided to go with an OAG for F/6.3, F/10, and a tube mounted ZWO mini guide for F/2 with Hyperstar. Based on the CGX capacity of 20+ kg, I am well under 50% capacity.

I wanted the CGX for future upgrades - IF I can afford when I retire to that deep dark place.

Cheers,

Lance