View Single Post
Old 29-03-2020, 03:33 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1 View Post
Tareq,

Reading this thread, I would like to offer the following for you to consider.
I doubt there is anybody in this forum who would not want to own a Takahashi but few will have bought it as their first, or even second scope. It's a good target to aim for.

Most people have bought used equipment and been very happy with it. There is a very active market in astronomical equipment. It is very simple...if you buy well, you can get your money back when you sell. The reason items do not sell is simple...they are overpriced. When you buy new, you can expect an item to lose 20% of its value immediately. If you go this route then you accept this.

You will never be 100% satisfied with your setup as preferences will change over time especially as you have more money to spend. Personally I would buy used until you buy your Takahashi. As you know, there is no correct answer to the question 'What is the best scope...or eyepiece.' It is a matter of personal preference. Wine tasting is a good analogy. Give someone four glasses of red wine and ask them to place them in order of quality. Dont get bogged down in details that may be quite irrelevant to your situation. I have 3 scopes that I bought because they were bargains. They are all recognized as good quality scopes, all my eyepieces are used and I know if I ever sell anything I will make money not lose it. Have I compromised at all...no, I am very happy with what I have but am sure these will not be the scopes I own in a few years.

Most importantly - DONT PANIC. Good luck with your acquisitions!

Cool, thank you very much