View Single Post
Old 26-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm a little reluctant to run 240V AC around the scope for safety reasons, since I'm usually set up in a grass paddock with lots of dew around and randomly tripping over things in the dark.

The Canon genuine 5DmkII's batteries are rated as 7.2V, but the genuine AC adapter output is rated around 8.1V - seems like the camera is somewhat flexible with voltages?

Hopefully, Jaycar's 12V -> 7.5V adapter will work well with a DC coupler.
Hi Dave

I bought a Jaycar DC-DC converter and did use the "dummy" DR-E6 battery blank from Canon (you can of course use the eBay ones) and wired it up together with a 2-way plug-and-socket fitting - I also used 2 x 1N4001 diodes inline on the positive lead (to drop the voltage down from 9.5V, though the unit is supposed to be 9V on that setting - thus giving me a regulated DC supply of roughly 8.4V DC due to the voltage drop charateristic of diodes of 0.6V for each) - my understanding from the techie at the authorised Canon service center here in Perth is that it is not good to go over the 8.5V DC range for the cameras

Now I use this unit for both my 5D MkII, modded 40D & new 60Da - very happy with it all

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CanonPSUmod.jpg)
190.9 KB45 views