Thread: eq8 is here
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 02:55 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
Putting it together,i love my job
EQ8 Tripod
The piered tripod is a solid build in a flat black finish it has three anti vibration feet that sit on the bottom of each leg these are height ajustable for leveling. to adjust the height of the pier it is lifted manually and tightened with two bolts on the side with a supplied spanner,in my view this would be better if it had a hand knob for tightening purposes although it does do its job and hold the weight when done up fully,also has a sleeve on the inside around the pier so it wont slip.The mount attachment is by means of a knob on the side which rotates the centre thread and could be marked which way for correct tightning or loosening .The flat paint finish could be prone to scuff marks unlike the white paint finish of the eq6. The legs are locked in by three winged nuts& bolts and plastic plates to hold it firm in position leaving these on the tripod is probably a good idea as these could be dropped and lost.
The Engine
This is a bit different to the eq6 much more solid and well built the RA&DEC locks are the same knob as the eq6 but the whole thing is locked to plates and does come with a big warning not to press .
The mount itself is fairly heavy but i could lift it quite easily and it has two handles on the sides which are great for lifting, the mount centres on the usual screw on top easily then bolted with two screws.Abag for the tools would be a good idea as well also a diagram of which way it goes back into the case ,next the field test
good to see tempation is alive and well Al