View Single Post
Old 18-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Paul Haese

I have owned several GSO RC's now. I am currently imaging with an RC12 which gives me great results. I have been working quite closely with GSO and Bintel on the development of these scopes. Over the years there have been several upgrades to the design and the current line of scopes represents the apex of that development so far.

I have every confidence that the optics will be good. Every GSO scope I have owned has great optics.

However, you will need to undertake some modifications yourself. First up, is the purchase of a quality focuser. The current crop of focusers are good but not really suitable for imaging. Secondly you will need to install a secondary heater. Kendrick make a good range of secondary heaters. Feel free to do a search here on GSO RC's. I made a post on how to do this within a thread about the new truss GSO when I first got the truss.

I doubt that this scope is portable, in fact I am sure it is not suitable for this sort of practice. The 12" is quite heavy to lift over head and I am a fairly strong guy. The 16 will be a two man lift to get onto a mount at normal mounting height. An EQ8 might be able to carry this scope with a big camera, focuser, rotator and OAG. You could well be up around the 50kg mark with cables and everything on board. I think you might want to get something smaller if you want portable.

Best of luck with the purchase.