View Single Post
Old 31-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
Hi Chris,
The catch is that longer focal length means tracking needs to be more accurate and longer focal length and more weight means guiding becomes more difficult. Good guiding is very dependant on good balance, and balancing a large/long and heavy scope on a SA would be difficult.

Hi Hugh,

Thanks very much for such a thoughtful and informative reply. Very handy to read some first hand experience to put the manufacturer's blurb into perspective.

My main interest is in exploring the skies and 'learning the layout as it were. It seems that taking photos for that purpose is quite straightforward - just a regular tripod and some appropriate settings can capture a 'map' of an area of interest for later study. But going from "adequate" for that purpose to "good" when it comes to detailed closer work seems to require a quantum leap in time, knowledge, patience, and of course budget..!

My intention is to try and stick to exploration for a year or two and not be seduced by the lure of proper astrophotography. But I have a nasty feeling that the nature of the challenge, not to mention the attraction of acquiring more interesting equipment may eventually win out....

Cheers,

Chris