View Single Post
Old 16-02-2016, 03:53 AM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
The ONAG, according to my understanding simply gives you access to the entire FOV available, as opposed to just the edges that an OAG gives you, but it doesn't make it all available at once, so it seems unlikely to make any significant difference to me... if I rarely found a guidestar, it would make a difference, but I always find one, I just have to rotate... and with the ONAG it means rather than rotating, you move the "stage" around if I understand correctly.
This is spot on -- it gives you access to pretty much the entire FoV and when you can't find a guide star straight away, you just adjust the X/Y stage. How much adjustment is required depends on where you are pointing, e.g. the availability of red dwarf class stars and the size of your guiding sensor. Peter uses a Starlight Xpress Ultrastar on his rig, which has the more generous sensor size. Some folks use their "old" imaging camera for guiding, eliminating the need to adjust the stage at all!

Give me a holler if you want to try the ONAG out at some stage, I'd be more than glad to send it up to you.