View Single Post
Old 13-12-2016, 10:55 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Simple answer is yes. In practice a bit more tricky.

ND filter probably not, you should be shooting around 1/250 - 1/125 sec, no slower. Test shooting the moon at approximate phase first to nail down what settings you find acceptable for exposure of the moon (the ISS will be black / underexposed).

It will move across the moon quickly so use a good high speed burst mode to have a hope of catching it. Choose whichever camera gives you more pixels across the moon, should give you more detail of ISS (test before hand and measure for yourself to decide).

Basically you can go outside anytime before hnd and shoot the moon for yourself and decide what settings and gear to use to give you the exposure and detail you want.

Shooting ISS myself I've found it difficult to get an accurate prediction of both time and orbit for ISS when planning composition. They don't match up to the shots I get. EG if I can see in a program the ISS pass between two stars or bisects a cluster when I take a long exposure to get the ISS trailing in shot its path doesn't match. You can shoot ISS any time its visible for you and test.

Plan and test.