Thread: eq8 is here
View Single Post
Old 31-05-2015, 11:16 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

EQ8 PE Capture with PHD2

After many interruptions from work and weather I've finally gotten around to getting a clean capture for the PE for my EQ8. This is captured with PHD 2.0 using a 900mm F9 refractor as a guide scope. Guide camera is the Orion SSAG. Capture period was approximately 30 minutes at a DEC angle of -10 deg. Guiding was off during this capture.

In DEC I see a gradual drift showing a movement of a little under 15" during the capture period. Whilst the PA is clearly not spot on, my thinking is that a 15" movement after 30 minutes at DEC -10 is possibly ok to the extent that I can rely on guiding to remove this. Am interested in the view of others on this.

In RA I see a fairly consistent PE in a sinusoidal waveform shape but I also see a gradual RA drift of about 12" during the capture period. The peak to peak PE measure is about 7" which is consistent with what other EQ8 owners are reporting.

On the calibration graph I note that the RA calibration is not showing at 90 deg to the DEC calibration. I am wondering if this is telling me something I should know?

Observations and Questions:
1. Is the DEC drift acceptable to the extent that guiding will get rid of it or should we try tweaking the PA again?
2. What would be causing the drift in RA? Is this simply to do with the DEC drift? I note that it does seem to follow the DEC drift.
3. Should I be concerned that the RA and DEC axis are not at 90deg on the calibration graph? I raise this as the PHD documentation indicates that they should be at 90deg.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Calibration.JPG)
117.8 KB84 views
Click for full-size image (Guiding.jpg)
173.1 KB73 views