View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 11:25 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Excuse my ignorance here, but what's the benefits of putting Argon into these camera sensor chambers? Is it to drive out the oxygen out?

I guess I'm also surprised that for cameras like the ZWO that it would last long enough. Glen - how often did you have to redo the ASI1600?
I can only comment on the original Version 1 of the ASI1600MM-C, i do not know how they seal the later models. In Version 1s, the top compartment unscrews and the dessicant pills are inside that compartment held in four indentations spaced around the sensor. The top compartment has an O ring seal that it screws down against. The front sensor window (and I don't mean the sensor cover glass) also has a silicon sealing ring that the AR glass is held against by a screw down bezel.
I only ever flood the 1600 when I swap out the dessicant pills, and that might be once a year.
It is possible that the Argon may leak out due to atmospheric pressure variations over time, but the important thing is that there was no moisture trapped in the chamber when it was sealed. And truthfully the gas does not have to be Argon, any 'dry' gas, would work. Nitrogen is one, but not CO2 as it will transport moisture.