View Single Post
Old 19-08-2010, 08:25 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Mark

Quote:
When you mentioned ajustment, are you referring to method 1 in the Peterson kit i.e. loosen one mount bolt whilst tightning the other to engage the gears at a slight angle?
Its loosen 2 and tighten 2 but yes.
In the doz or so units i have worked on, the mesh has been quite close,
so this didnt result in any appreciable "tilt" in the gearmesh.
I agree when a large change is reqd, this method cannot be used,
but an offset bushing could be used quite cheaply.
( Not sure if Pete provides them in his kits )

Quote:
I may yet machine up a fully adjustable tray for mine as I am not totally happy with the peterson solution either
For the RA, what i looked at doing was just putting the coupler plate on my mill, and slotting 2 of the three motor mounting holes.
This allows perfect fitting, but i found i didnt need it.
The DEC is more of a problem due to the slomo mechanism.

Quote:
The plastic gears may be OK but accurately machined brass or bronze will always be better
Dunno there. To me, its like gaffa taping a micrometer to the end of a wooden ruler. The major PE in the Meades comes from the GBx and worm. Properly aligning the geartrain gives much more benefit than changing transfer gears.

Quote:
and when we consider the effect backlash has on autoguiding even if it is only a 1% will improve things
Ahh but again, you are bashing yr head against a brick wall
When guiding in Polar, the RA never reverses, hence lash is no problem.
In DEC, the Meade code to apply backlash correctly is broken, and good gears wont fix this. ( I am currently trying to patch this ).
Also, for many people, retrograde motion is more of a problem than lash. Ie again it comes down to the massive variability in the Meade mounts.

Quote:
A light breeze puts an end to imaging for the night
Clouds normally kill me

Andrew