View Single Post
Old 17-05-2010, 10:23 PM
pgc hunter

Part 2

M17
NEB, Sagittarius, RA: 18 20 47, Dec: -16 10 18, Size = 46x37' , Mag V = 6.0

The Swan Nebula. Always enjoyed this one, and IMO is superior to M8 both in surface brightness and detail visible. Quite extraordinary at 78x with an OIII filter. Fantastic curdled structure in the main body, with the neck an elegant arc and another bright spot seperated from the "head" by a dark gap could be seen. A large looping swath of nebulosity extends beyond the tail and curves back around to the north. A fainter pool of nebulosity could also be seen south of the body. I decided to increase mag to 267x with the OIII filter and the result was stunning. Unreal detail in the body. Has to be seen to comprehend. A number of dark filaments could be seen within the nebula at the base of the neck. The entire nebula itself covers the whole FOV at this magnification...I urge you all with bigger scopes to crank up the power and stick your OIII in for a mesmerising experience.

M20 Trifid Nebula
NEB, Sagittarius, RA: 18 02 21, Dec: -23 01 38, Size = 29x27" , Mag V = 6.3

Excellent at 102x. Bright main section, with the dark lanes easily visible, infact the best I've ever seen it and I've observed this nebula numerous times with both my 10" and old 12" scope. The fainter reflection nebulosity section was also clearly seen, with a relatively low sfc brightness.

NGC 7090
GX, Indus, RA: 21h37m 14.8s DE:-54°29' 54" , Size = 7.4x1.3' , Mag V = 10.7

A lovely edge on spiral. A bright, almost needle like streak at 166x with a slightly brighter core region. Possibly uneven sfc brightness due to dust, but being almost 4am I was sufficiently buggered that it'll require further observation. A mag ~14 star is superimposed just SE of the core.

M57
PNe, Lyra, RA: 18 53 35, Dec: +33 01 45 , Size = 86x63" , Mag V = 8.8

Fantastic at 166x, best I've seen it. Very bright, thick annulus, brightest along the major axis. Interior of the nebula is slightly brighter than the background sky.

Packed it in just on 4am, great session, and more questions answered regarding the new scope