View Single Post
Old 28-05-2018, 06:43 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Good ideas so far guys , and as said one step at a time and your mount will be ok for visual .

I have an EQ2 mount that in its standard form easily holds my 60mm triplet and C90 Mak but my 90mm f10 saxon refeactor at 900+ mm long , completely overwhelmed it was , ' wobblertron ' city !! . Quite terrible actually !

So , reading up I started doing a few things ,

#1 , filled the bottom aluminium tripod legs with sand , don't forget to put a good blob of silicon rubber over the sand before you reassemble , stops any escaping if you tip the tripod for transporting . Helped quite a bit .

#2 , machined up a disc 200mm in diameter , lengthened the centre hold down bolt and reassembled , another quite big win ! , you can see this in the photo . It also made a very handy 1 1/4 inch eyepiece x3 , holder .

#3 , cut 3 pieces of alloy tube 20mm in diameter and fitted them inside the ( WAY TO LIGHT ! ) alloy tripod top where the 3 legs bolt on and refitted the bolts and tightened ,, this made the biggest difference yet ! .

#4 , machined up a stainless steel CW so the CW's are not right at the end of the CW shaft , this stopped nearly all the slow occillations that were present before this was done .

#5 , as said by Ramo I grabbed a 200mm long Vixen dovetail and fitted it on the OTA , also made a handle for the top of the rings and these two really helped a lot , more than I expected .

These took about 3 weekends to do , in between testing and playing around has made a huge difference to this mount and it's now actually quite nice to use , not perfect but easily 70% better than it was .
I have also stripped , cleaned , made some teflon washers and re-lubed the mount and its very smooth now and it's able to be tightened to a much closer tollerance than standard .

Hope this helps ,

Brian.

ps. I have a Saxon 102mm f10 and its my most used scope now , do a search here of ' Frankensaxon ' here and have a look . Its mine and its a very good scope now as yours can be with a little ( lot ? ) of tuning .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20180528_161253 (2).jpg)
200.0 KB67 views

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 28-05-2018 at 07:06 PM.