View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 12:38 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I went to a space weather seminar last year and some of the stuff they said was hair raising. I think it is in 2016 we had a massive flare that went way clear of earth. It was in the wrong quadrant and didn't affect us. I don't recall if Mars or the rovers there were affected. But the speaker said that if we had been caught in the middle we'd be back to horse and carriages. His words. The magnitude of the flare was on par with the one that happened in the 1800s. They mentioned that to rebuild one of the big electricity transformers that are part of the grid would likely take months. And everything else would take months if not years to go back to normal. He also stressed that technology and our dependence on it has made us more vulnerable to this kind of events and a radical change in what we're doing is needed. But they also feel it is not viewed as a priority and most of the warnings fall in death ears. Pretty much like the 50c temperature they are experiencing today in India. A very short mention in the news. 10s then onto something else.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...a?src=eoa-iotd

Last edited by multiweb; 19-06-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added link