View Single Post
Old 13-09-2023, 10:23 AM
joshman (Josh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
This process first started with encasing small prints (think drink coaster size) in resin.

Constant bubbles forming in the resin (despite using a heat gun) and a less than perfectly flat cured surface from silicone moulds canned that idea.

Round two was to use a thermal laminator and adhesive backed PVC sheets to face mount prints to the acrylic sheets.

Epic fail....

....but led to round three and to use a transfer liquid to allow the PVC adhesive surface to slip a tad on the acrylic sheet, then use a roller or squeegee to remove any bubbles.

Nearly there, but with surface mounting to acrylic the print bond has to be perfect.

To be sure this nut has already been cracked long ago by commercial labs.. but my goal was not to mount A2 prints for a museum quality display. A small format photo block, however would be cool.

My most recent efforts attached...not perfect but getting there.
that is very cool. i like the dimension it add to the images.

So the visual side of the print is face down on the acrylic?

How are you dealing with the static on the acrylic face? Are you coating the acrylic AND the print in the adhesive/transfer liquid?

Back on the resin idea - a small vacuum chamber might cure the bubble woes. not sure how long it takes to usually cure, but a mix thats a bit longer to cure might level out quite well? then squared/surfaced and polished.